Skip to main content

52 Weeks of Floor Plans...Week 2!



Welcome! 
 Every week for the next year, I will be posting an original floor plan and designs that reflect my belief in simple living.  

I've been toying with the idea of buying land and building a small cottage, or starter home, that I can use one day as a studio or guest house.  I've found a few inspirational images from Houzz and Pinterest that really fuel the designs, and I hope you enjoy!  

Week 2!

I like the idea of keeping my plans simple, but there will always be consistencies throughout.  I tend to always put the laundry within the walk in closet, or with easy access to one another due to the fact that the most laundry one has, is clothes.  So often you see the laundry off of the kitchen or in a mudroom, yet that creates a constant need to bring clothes back and forth throughout the rest of the house.  I would much rather carry a few hand/dish towels through a bathroom or closet than to carry loads of clothes back and forth.  Also, if you're like me, you dread putting clothes away, and tend to let folded shirts and pants develop wrinkles as they reside in baskets, but, if my washer and dryer were next to my closet, I could simple walk it only a few feet and voila!, clothes are put away.

I've included a spiral staircase in the plan, representing the ability to expand the space.  I try not to deny my plans room for growth.  Below are some great pieces I would use to decorate the great room! 

Kyle Accent Chair

Indoor/Outdoor Rug - available in lots of different colors!  (for play room/kids room...  or office?)
Bennett Sofa, 86"W x 38"D x 33"H, seat height, 20"; frame, hardwood; upholstery, linen; fill, high-density polyurethane foam 1399 - orig. 2650

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

52 Weeks of Floor Plans --- Week 21!

Week 21! I have a cozy bedroom now, and love its quaint size, so I stemmed this weeks design with the simplicity of the room.  The only change I would make to my current space would be to switch the window wall (I only sleep on my right side, so I would love it if the sunrise would be conveniently positioned to wake me in the morning.  I love this wall color and the retro couch.  And I'm a sucker for orange/ peach roses.   Source A clean color scheme with eclectic accents for the kitchen. Source This deep blue with white trim and light wood are very serene and relaxing (and there is a chevron blanket which makes me like this space even more!)  Source Chevron! Source I would love a walk in closet, even if a small one.  Source Simple and clean counters, dark cabinetry. Source Walk in shower with glass tile & a simple bench. Source Small but beautiful powder room. Source

Traveling & Life

My last post for my 52 weeks of floor plans conveniently coincided with a vacation I'd been anticipating all year.  I took 10 days off work - something I rarely do!  July 2nd I went on an adventure down south to places I had never been, with people I had never met but have long connections with!  I saw amazing views along the way... Somewhere in North Carolina.... I was able to cross "The Biltmore Estate" off my bucket list & visited Asheville, NC.  And my cousin's corny joke, "It's a little small....they could have built more" We then continued to South Carolina for a family reunion on the 4th!  And finally, my favorite part of the trip, the Smokey Mountains.  (Cosby, Tennessee) We stayed at a secluded log cabin on the top of a mountain with our own private road and 35 acres with trails on the property.   I sadly saw no bears, but heard them in the woods around us in the early hours of the morning.  I spent m...

52 Weeks of Floor Plans - Week 7!

Week 7! I have been recently inspired by European cottages...it may be that I was recently describing the villa I stayed in while in Tuscany, or discussing my desire to travel to Ireland in the near future.  I would love to have a little place like this - soft and cozy on the outside, but slightly modern in the interior decor.   Source Light colors would decorate the interior, with lots of natural light.  The light counter top and metal is very rustic and modern. Source The metal daybed (sans the back) would be perfect in front of a stone fireplace.  Source A small bathroom with a corner shower would suffice for the cottage square footage.  If the space is completely tiled, it would create more freedom and space for the shower. Source A second floor bedroom would complete the cottage with sleeping quarters and storage/ closets.   Source